The Process of Getting a Kentucky Concealed Carry Permit

In Kentucky only residents are eligible to receive their CCDW (concealed carry deadly weapon) permit/license. Active duty military assigned to a military posting in Kentucky can also be eligible.

The first step is to take a complete a firearms safety or training course offered or approved by the Department of Criminal Justice Training (like our course). The course fee is set at $75 by the state. All instructors must charge exactly $75 and $25 of that fee collected by the instructor is passed on to the state. (237.112 The law that says instructors may not charge more than $75 plus up to $10 for range fees, targets, and associated rentals/costs)

After the class is complete, the instructor will submit information about your pass or fail status to DOCJT. You will receive a class completion certificate THE DAY OF THE CLASS.

After receiving the certificate, you can either visit your local sheriff’s office or you can complete your CCDW application online by uploading a PDF of the training certificate, a PDF of your Drivers License, and a PDF of your picture you want on the license. Applying online does require a user account be registered prior to the application. If you submit your application online you will pay $50 and then an additional $20 when you pick up your permit from the sheriff’s office.

If you go to the Sheriff’s Office the background check is to be completed within 15 working days. The total fee if you go to the sheriff’s office will be $60 (active and retired peace officers that meet the requirements of KRS 237.110(7) are exempt from paying the application or renewal fee).

The application must include a completed Citizenship Affidavit. You can access or download the affidavit (KSP 131) here.

The Sheriff’s office submits your application to the Kentucky State Police who will conduct a background check. They will issue or deny your license within 90 days. You will receive a “Flash Pak” in the mail with information about picking up your permit at your sheriff’s office.